Wednesday 7 December 2016

Blogmas, Day 7 (2016) | How To Make The Most Of Christmas Whilst Working

I surely can't be the only one that's been finding juggling life and Christmas celebrations quite the difficult task. And as some of you may know, I've recently left education which means I'm now working. Although I'm only part time, I've still been finding organizing life in general quite the challenge. So I've come up with a few tips and if you're finding yourself in a similar situation I hope this post is useful.



My tips for making the most of Christmas whilst working are:

1. Start Preparation Early- Get those Christmas present lists sorted asap. Write down everyone you're planning on getting presents for and write down what you think they might like. Then, when the sales creep up, you'll know exactly what you need to get. Also, if you're hosting a Christmas party/meal I definitley recommend planning early too. That will give you time to ask/work out what you're guests will be needing, and of course give you plenty of time to put those plans into action.

2. Sort Out Your Budget- This is quite possibly the most important step, as you want to know how much money you're able to spend. I think we all can relate to how expensive this time of year is, so it's good to know what you're working with. What I've been doing is working out how much I'll get paid this month, taking away the money I'll need for everyday things (train tickets, food etc) and then taking away anything that I might want to put in my savings. I'm starting to have a clear idea of what my budget for Christmas presents is, and it's good to work with a clear amount in mind.

3. Write A To-do List- I literally live by my to-do lists and I'd be so lost without it. But something I've been doing throughout December is writing deadlines of when everything needs to be done. I know exactly when I'm going to buy which presents, and I know what other life things need to be done by the end of December too. This has really truly helped reduce stress.

4. Learn To Switch Off- Ok, I'll admit it... this is something I'm absolutely rubbish at. I like to keep working until everything on my to-do list is complete. But reducing stress as much as possible during this time of year is so incredibly important. Let's face it, we'd all rather be like Buddy the Elf instead of the Grinch, but sometimes the holiday stress can make us feel more like the latter. But you need to give yourself credit for a hard day's work, and accept the fact you're allowed to put your feet up and relax.

5. Plan In Nice Things To Do- Don't get me wrong, working hard is important, but so is playing hard. Doing fun things like hanging out with friends is a great way to switch off from "work mode". And let's face it, spending time with family and friends is what this time of year is all about. 

6. Enjoy The Festive Spirit- I know a lot of us will be doing overtime at work throughout the holidays, especially if you work in retail. But if you're doing something during the Christmas season, you may as well make the most of it, even if it's only work. You go and enjoy the Christmas tunes they might be playing in the background of your office, enjoy the street lights you can see from your window, smile and talk to people about Christmas in general. I mean who doesn't love a good ol' natter about the holidays and what you'll be getting up to?!

So there's my little post about how to be busy during the festive season, yet make the most of it. There's nothing worse than letting the best time of year pass you by without you realising, just because you were too busy. The song of the day is It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year by Andy Williams. Are you busy at this time of year? Let me know what you're up to in the comments,

Izzy K xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment