Thursday 23 August 2018

Deciding What Content You Want To Make

Deciding what sort of content you want to publish, whether that be an instagram picture, blog post, or YouTube video, is easier said than done. You might be thinking "Izzy, surely people know what they want to post?"

Me @ myself when I'm planning my upload schedule

However, if you're anything like me and want to post a bit of everything, it can be quite tricky deciding what content you want people to know you for. I've been posting videos and blog posts for almost 5 years now, and only I'm only now starting to discover what sort of content suits me.

My content style has changed a lot over the years, and I've posted almost every genre under the sun including: beauty, makeup tutorials (which 16 year old me really didn't have the talent for), vlogs, tags, interviews and more recently conspiracy theories. 

Like imagine I actually thought this was
 an acceptable makeup tutorial lmao!

Each topic I've enjoyed talking about at the time, but I think as a content creator it's really important to change your style up every now and again to find what your best at. I have no doubt that my content will continue to change over time, but here's the 5 tips I have for deciding what content you want to be known for...

1. Experiment- How are you going to discover what you're truly good at if you don't try? 


2. Find inspiration- I don't know about you, but I spend about 100 hours a day on YouTube (don't mind the slight exaggeration there) and I constantly love finding new YouTubers to watch. Discovering what's out there already in terms of genres, styles and different personalities is so helpful. Personally, I always get inspired to talk about certain topics after I've watched someone else do it really well.

At the minute my youtube inspiration is definitely Shane.
His work is beyond genius and everything he posts is so deep yet so entertaining

3. ALWAYS put your own spin on things- Like I said, it's a good idea to gain inspiration, but don't be a carbon copy of another creator. Our individuality is a gift and we should use it so that people can recognize our individual work.


4. Do what you enjoy- If you're not passionate about the content you're making, it's gonna come across. Its a joy to see people's face light up when they're talking about what they actually care about. Sure, following trends may bring in the views, but it won't keep you motivated.

Make trends, don't follow them ;)

5. Simply create- Even if you don't know what you actually want to make, it's all about trying as much as you can. How else are you going to learn?

It doesn't have to be good, just do it!

So here is my little life advice, based entirely on what I have learned in the last 5 years. The song of the day is Pillow by Bebe Rexha. What sort of content do you like to be known for? Let me know in the comments,

Izzy K xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment