Thursday 11 January 2018

All About My Media & Film Degree

Recently I've been binge watching loads of university vloggers and reading sooooo many university bloggers. It goes without saying that I'm the world's nosiest person that always loves seeing what everyone else is getting up to and how they're coping. When I move to a new environment, such as university, it's just my curiosity that makes me need to know what everyone else's experience is like. That's why I want to talk about my course and student life more across my platforms, because it's a topic I myself genuinely am interested in talking about.



If you didn't already know, I a student in Liverpool. I won't say which university I study at for now, but what I will say is that my uni specializes in combined courses. This appealed to me because I liked the idea of flexibility that this would offer.

The course I picked is something that I am genuinely passionate about, and all my extra-curricular activities relate to it anyway. The course I study is Media and Communication BA (Hons). However, as I mentioned earlier, my university offers combined courses so if you pick media single honors you're put down to do a film module too. So basically my course is 50% Media & Communications and the other 50% is made up of a Film Studies module.

So I thought I'd sum up what my two units of the degree are like in terms of classes and what we've been doing so far:


Media and Communications:


  • Lectures (3 times a week, for a hour each)- This is where everyone in your course all attend the same lessons. It usually consists of a lecturer doing a presentation, and addressing questions to the class. We've been discussing the theoretical side of media in these lectures, such as ethics behind publishing, and the history of the printing press.
  • Seminars (Once a week, for 2 hours)- This is where a smaller group of us work to practically achieve something related to media. So far we've done a radio module where we had to put together our own radio show and perform it, and also working on a digital marketing project.
  • Tutorials (Once a week, for 50 minutes)- This is where you and a small group have a catch up on what you've been doing that week with your tutor. This gives you the chance to discuss the tutorial task with the tutor, as well as ask questions about the course and assignments. 

Film


  • Lectures (2 times a week, for an hour each)- This is with everyone on the course, where the lecturer will talk to us about film theory. This covers topics such as the history of cinema, and aspects of cinematography and how directors put films together. 
  • Seminars (Once a week, for two hours)- This is the practical film side. In smaller groups we are given projects to put what we learn in lectures into practice. So far we've made an animated advert, and are working on recreating a scene from a film that we've watched using the techniques we've learned. 
  • Tutorials (Once a week, for 50 minutes)- Again, this is where you meet up with your tutor for this side of the course, and discuss your classwork for the week and any questions you might have.

So that's been a little introduction to the layout of my course. It's a 3 year degree and I'm so excited to keep learning about things that genuinely interest me. I'll be writing more about my course and how I'm finding it as the year continues.

The song of the day is Fool's Gold by One Direction. If you have any questions, let me know in the comments. Thank you for reading,

Izzy K xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment