Thursday 14 June 2018

Expectations Vs Reality Of Being At University

Being a student is something else, let me tell you that now! Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change my experience for the world and I've had the best first year imaginable. The only thing is I had so many expectations of what university would be like (and what I'd be like at university) but it was completely different to how I imagined.

I've come up with 10 expectations vs realities of university:

1. Expectation: I'd go to every party and go clubbing multiple times a week


Reality: I can't hack it! Being a 20 year old in first year has made me feel like an OAP when it comes to being able keep up with the kiddos (even if they are still more mature than me). Even though I'm still crazy for clubbing, I feel like I just couldn't physically do it every night anymore like I used to... *sigh* I'm getting old.



2. Expectation: En Suite halls are better than shared accommodation


Reality: As nice as it is to have the luxury of having your own bathroom, you have to clean it              yourself and they tend to be more expensive. If you're a sociable person, shared halls are definitely      the halls for you. By visiting my friends in shared halls I am now a changed person after witnessing some of the madness in there, it's just too funny!



3. Expectation: I'll still have normal sleeping and eating patterns


Reality: Nope. I jet-lagged myself. Honestly I'd just end up napping whenever I was tired and eating whenever I was hungry. 3am? Perfect time to eat a bowl of pasta. 3pm? Perfect time for a nap.



4. Expectation: I'd make an effort with my appearance, keeping on top of my nails, roots and fake tan


Reality: The only makeup I wore to my lectures was last night's if I'd been clubbing. I went to the      launderette in my dressing gown. And my personal best achievement was going to Spoons in my        pajamas. 



5. Expectation: My week would be filled with lectures


Reality: Most my classes were in blocks together, meaning I was only in uni for three full days and had loads of free time outside classes. 



6. Expectation: I'll budget my week


Reality: Helllooooo overdraft! Someone needs to take my card off me when I'm out to make sure I    don't spend another £85 on jagerbombs...



7. Expectation: Uni is a fresh start where you won't know anyone


Reality: You'll know someone in the town or city you're studying in. I don't think I've ever gone into Liverpool without bumping into someone I know from home, it really is a small world.



8. Expectation: Students are mature


Reality: HAHAHAHAHA! Even though I rely on myself to do my own washing and cooking (and just generally making sure I survive) don't be surprised to find me watching an episode of Arthur in my room eating a family pack of cookie crisp cereal. 



9. Expectation: University courses are harder than A-Levels



Reality: Now I know this depends on your course. But in my personal experience if someone asked me whether my Film&Media course is harder than my Chemistry A Level I'd say nope, not at all! I know I'm only in first year though so I don't want to jinx it ;)



10. Expectation: Everyone is there because they are passionate about the course they are studying. 


Reality: As a self-diagnosed nerd the thought of spending £9000+ on something you don't live and breathe for honestly baffles me. But no, some people are genuinely 100% just there for the piss up!



So these are a few ways in which I noticed uni was different to how I imagined it. The song of the day is Cola by Camelphat and Elderbrook because I think I listened to that song more than any other at uni. Let me know how your student experience is going if you're a student too,

Izzy K xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment